Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Final Dress... Go!

Hello, readers. I know it's been forever since I last updated but I have been way beyond busy. I've worked on 5 short films, kept on top of homework, and worked on preparing for my Cannes Film Festival internship, which I fly out for in a month. On top of all of that, and the reason I'm writing today, I have had the great privilege of directing Take Her to the Graveyard by Cory Soukup for Theatrix's New Artists Festival.

For those of you who don't know, Theatrix is the student-run theatre at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Every year in the spring they put on the New Artists Festival (NAF). NAF gives student playwrights and directors a chance to produce and direct brand new plays. Plays range from 10 minutes to full-length productions depending on the plays submitted to Theatrix for consideration.

When I was a freshman at UNL trying to figure out what major I wanted, I got involved with NAF as a makeup artist and designer. I had no idea what I was doing and I had a blast. Ever since then, after seeing the actors and directors working together and having so much fun, I dreamed of directing for NAF myself.

Tomorrow that dream comes true. Not only am I directing a fantastic comedy by a very talented writer, but one of my own plays, An Overactive Imagination was also chosen for this year's production. An Overactive Imagination is directed by Shannon Hanson, who I had the great pleasure of casting in both of my larger projects in my Directing 1 class last year.

What makes this night even more special are the people surrounding me. Our assistant Stage Manager, Amy Kneyon, and one of my Principal Actors in Graveyard, Nolan Sullivan, were both big parts of my first NAF. We have a wonderful cast a crew all around, not just in my play(s), but in all four plays in the festival. I've learned so much and I am so grateful to Theatrix and to everyone else for giving me the chance to direct and to see my own words come to life on the stage.

This is the last day I will sit in this theatre as the director for this show. Tomorrow I send my baby off to face the world of college audiences. I may get emotional tonight. And that's okay. This experience has meant a lot to me, and so has all of the help I've received along the way. All I can say is thank you, to everyone.

It's time for Final Dress. Let's go.

No comments:

Post a Comment