Search This Blog

Friday, December 6, 2013

A Fresh Start

Hello and Welcome.

This is the official start of what I hope will be a semi-regularly updated blog. I've created this blog for two reasons. One is to promote my activities and those of my very talented peers to the general community and perhaps get my name out in the wide world. The other is to have a place to share more about my daily activities for my own reference and for family and friends that may not live so close to me and want a bit more detail that the usual social media post can give.

So, let's start.



Tonight was the opening of Theatrix's production of Lion in the Streets by Judith Thompson, directed by Maggie Austin, for which I had the pleasure of costuming (in part as honors credit for Costume Design 1). As my friends might have noticed by my lack of availability, I've been hard at work for this show, on top of my regular classes, for a little more than a month. It's sad to think that it will all be over with just 3 more performances, Friday and Saturday night at 7:30 and Sunday at 2. 

This was my first costuming endeavor, and it was a delightful challenge. I've tackled quite a few challenges along the way, not the least of which was repairing an almost-perfect dress for the main character, Isobel (played by the talented Lynn Twarowski).

Before
After

Before the alterations, the dress was torn in several places, the sheer yolk was mangled beyond repair, and the sleeves were too tight. I completely replaced the yolk with a sheer nylon to match the original material and added a layer of opaque pink underneath. I replaced the white underskirt with the same pink material to tie the whole outfit together. I also added elastic to the sleeves to give her more range of motion, which is essential for this show.

Overall I really enjoyed this experience. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I will be working as costumer and makeup designer on two upcoming films next semester that I'll be sure to write about as they arise. 

And special thanks to my professor and adviser for this project, Janice Stauffer. 

~Tay

No comments:

Post a Comment