Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Film Production 1

It's almost time for the new semester to start. I'm in the middle of working on costumes for Berenice, but since I have a little time to breathe right now, I want to take a look back. Last semester was very interesting as I learned the talents of my fellow film students, and I enjoyed working on all of tOur Film Production 1 projects. Under the cut I've included the videos as well as some of my personal creative process and my thoughts on the final outcome for each. If you'd just like the watch the videos, and want to see more as they develop, I've opened a youtube channel here




Heels was our first project of the semester. I had the idea over the summer, based on what I knew of some the requirements for the videos when my friends were taking this class last year. As it turned out, those requirements were made by the professor, and I had a completely different professor. Still, my teammates were willing to try out my idea.
The parameters I developed this idea under were simple: No narration, and you're not allowed to show the whole face of any of the characters. I thought this left a lot up to interpretation and perception.
There are a few shots I think could have been shorter, and maybe a little less awkward, but overall I really liked how this film came out.


Run for Your Life was shot on 16mm film on a Bolex camera. We had a lot of fun running around Pioneer's park all afternoon, and luckily it wasn't too cold until the sun started to set. I think the makeup job I did for the Zombie could have been more zombie-ish, but I also think that with a long film and script there could have been more backstory and it would have made a lot more sense.
I do really like how the film looks with the film grain. We had a couple of issues with the film loading incorrectly, but our wonderful editor made it work and it gave the film an even creepier feeling.


Fit for a Queen was our final film. Along with being non-sync we had the added requirement of including narration or voiceover. This was much more difficult than we anticipated, especially for me as I felt I had run out of ideas for stories we could use. Eventually we settled on the concept you see here - a fairytale in dialogue relating a "real life" story of a young woman.
My only regret with this one is that we didn't show more of Julia's independence before she finds her true prince. I really wanted this to be a story about self-realization and her learning she didn't need a a man to be happy and successful, and then choosing to be with one anyway and have a child. Still, this one was also a lot of fun to shoot and I'm happy with how it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment